Created for the pickiest eaters, these tacos are all natural, vegan, gluten-free, sugar free amazingness. I served these at a recent holiday party and they were approved among omnivores and vegans alike.
The key is blackening the tempeh, this adds a ton of flavor to an otherwise more bland protein. Tempeh is made from fermented soy and is a great option for those who are wanting a healthy protein that is low in fat, nonGMO and good for our body.
In addition to a the blackened tempeh, I add a multitude of textures and flavors, including crunchy orange pepper, red onion, spicy jalapeno slices and a homemade Cucumber-Pomegranate Salsa.
- Wash all veggies
- Blacken Tempeh (recipe below)
- Saute garlic, jalapeno, red onion & orange pepper with coconut oil in pan on medium heat for 3-4 minutes
- peel red cabbage leaves apart gently and set aside the best leaves to be filled
- Add sautéed veggies & tempeh & avocado to cabbage leaf
- top w/ cucumber-pomegranate salsa
- Cut tempeh into 1/4 inch thick stips
- dip strips in oil then coat each side w/ the spice mixture
- add to fry pan on medium-high heat
- cook until both sides are blackened
Be sure to turn on a fan and open the window when blackening the tempeh as the smoke from the hot skillet often causes the fire alarm to sound